Monday, September 1, 2008

Our "Baptism Week"

Dad and Kids after Jake's Talk (Yes, that is Tess's happy face !)


BIG NEWS...Our little Sunbeam was assigned to speak in Primary this Sunday about baptism. We were all pretty excited about the topic. We have actually had lengthy discussions about this topic in the past year or so because Jake does NOT like to put his head under the water. In fact I still don't think he has ever done it- even after a summer of swimming. When he was 2 we told him all about baptism and I made the mistake of emphasizing that we had to go "all the way under" to be baptized properly. Once he found out that that included his head he was sure that baptism was not for him and I had visions of a traumatic baptism day 6 years down the road....

Anyway, we were pretty excited to talk about it again and had a Family Home Evening this week to prepare. The pictures below are from our FHE lesson, the highlight of which was showing the kids how we are baptized.




Then yesterday, Jake gave his FIRST talk in Primary. He told us before his talk that he was not scared and, sure enough, he got up and knocked it out of the park- with a little whispering in the ear. (I'm not biased or anything).

I took a video of his talk. I know what you're thinking..."Gasp, you're not supposed to record church!!!". You're probably right but I couldn't let the moment pass by...and I asked the Primary President if I could.

There are three "stars" in the video. Jake (the talk giver), Becky (the ear whisperer) and the little boy in the chair to the left of the video. You might want to watch the talk twice- once for Jake and once to watch him. He's pretty funny. It's a good thing the microphone on our camera isn't sensitive enough to pick up burping noises. Becky is the new second counselor in the Primary Presidency and at the end of the video you can see her awesome conducting skills (no downtime between the activities...the second rule of maintaining "control" in primary!! The first rule is bring snacks !!!) Enjoy!!!!

The Main Event

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey guys! I took a stab at it and guessed right at your blog address! After yesterday, I was eager to check out the talk video. Hope you don't mind! Jacob did a fabulous job on his talk, esp for his first time!! And Isaac was a hoot. I was dying over on the other side of the room, esp. with his mom sitting calmly in the back. Haha!

Anonymous said...

Your kids look so grown up! Probably not something a parent really wants to hear. I love love love Tess's happy face. And her red hair. And Jake was great as his talk--as was Becky. :) Thanks for sharing your life online. I feels like I'm almost there. Sounds like you and Becky are doing a great job and are very happy. And that makes me happy. I love you guys!!!

Shellie said...

What a great job! So cute! Love you guys!

amydear said...

Hey, Dan! Of course I remember you; you are unforgettable. It's fun to see your little family, but weird too. You mean you're not an RM just off a mission anymore? : ) My daughter Jillian was scared about being baptized at that age. I used to always say "Don't even worry about it. You can decide when you're 7 or 8." Seemed to have worked. We'll find out next February. Keep in touch!

C Ballard Family said...

I am so sad we missed hearing a future bishop speak on baptism. I know he did a great job and probably loved talking in the microphone.

Marianne said...

Ah your kids are stinkin' cute;) Way to go on the talk Jacob. I think you and Ryan would be great friends!! Hopefully we can make a trip to DC sometime in the next year:)

Dot said...

Hello Barnhursts! We're just entering the blog world...and are having fun connecting with friends near and far! We sure enjoyed our brief visit with you in July...thanks for "taking us in" :) We are looking forward to seeing you guys in November here!

The Queen Vee said...

I love the pictures of Tess and Jake holding their noses. Jake gave a wonderful talk. Isaac will be a star in the next primary program, the burping came through loud and clear. Becky are you on facebook? If so let Samantha know. Thank you for the kind birthday greetings!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharin' your blog with me! If you hadn't noticed on my facebook page, our blog address is: www.wrightthisway.blogspot.com
Look forward to keeping up with the comings and goings of your family! P.S. Stake Choir just wasn't the same without you! :) Oh-and the talk...well that was just DANG cute...I especially enjoyed watching all of the action going on to the left of the talk...:)

Anie said...

Hey Becky!!! GREAT blog!!! I hope it's cool that I added you guys as a link on mine! Since I rarely get to see you at church, this can be my way of keeping up on what's going on with your family! :) Jake did an awesome job on his talk!! I love that you taped it! Oh how I miss primary- especially Isaac! :) See you on Thursday!!

Megann said...

Your daughter has the best "happy face" i've ever seen! I love it! I wonder if I could get away with that..... "Megann, smile for the picture." "But I AM smiling..this is my happy face!" I can't wait for our next family portrait!