Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Benefits of Being Southern....

Jeff Gordon uponhearing about my driving.

First of all- this is a Dan blog, not a Becky blog. (That's my disclaimer)

Though there are many wonderful things about being southern, there have also been some things that I never really understood. One of these is NASCAR. I never really got it. A bunch of cars going around and around in circles really fast. It seemed pointless- until yesterday.


When I woke up at around 6:30am Becky told me that she had just started having contractions about 2 minutes apart. Now- we went to the hospital last week with contractions 5 minutes apart (just like we were supposed to) and they turned us away. They explained that we would know when it was really time and to come back then. This confused me a bit because, in the books it says to go to the hospital when your contractions are 5 minutes apart. However, when Becky woke me up it was apparent that it WAS TIME.


So, we were out the door within a few minutes and on the road to the hospital. We live in between two hospitals. One is in the direction of DC and one in the opposite direction. Both are off of the same interstate. We had decided that the time of day that she went into labor would determine which hospital we would go to- we would go in the opposite direction of rush hour traffic. But yesterday morning Becky said that she really wanted the doctor at the hospital closer to the city. It usually takes me 1 hour to go the 14 miles or so toward the city to work if I go during rush hour. I did think of honoring her request- until we got to the first traffic light before the interstate where we waited in a long line of traffic for the light to turn. That (and a few gasps from Becky) were all it took for me to point the car north and get moving. That is when I wished I had paid more attention to NASCAR.


I did try to be as "unaggressive" as possible but I really wanted to not deliver the baby myself (didn't get that merit badge in Boy Scouts) and for Becky to get there in time for an epidural. I only broke triple digits speeds once or twice and most people did move when the saw my emergency flashers (thankfully). No cops either (which is good because I wouldn't have pulled over). Bec had her eyes closed the entire time.


We got to the hospital in about 20 minutes- a little after 8am. They took Becky right back and, after a pretty intense delay Becky got her epidural (whew) just in time to be moderately comfortable for the birth f our daughter at 10:15am. You might be thinking that I overreacted and you might be right. But, let me just say that it wasn't fun to see Bec in pain and we BOTH REALLY wanted her to get her epidural. Fortunately she did.

So- hat's off to NASCAR drivers and women who deliver without epidurals. I have a profound appreciation for you both today.


Here's the details- 7lbs, 9oz and 20" long. She's got sandy blonde hair and long slender fingers. She's beautiful. Thankfully, both she and Becky are doing great. It's an understatement- but I feel very blessed that my wife and daughter came through such an amazing experience just fine. We are looking forward to getting to know our new one. She's already holding her head up pretty well is a great eater and has a good set of lungs. We think her name will be Abigail.


Jake and Tess have been really cute so far. They haven't been able to see her in person because they are both sick but they looked through the nursery window yesterday and were pretty excited. I explained to Jake that our role as "guys" is to take care of the girls and he seems to have taken that to heart. He has spent alot of time recently telling Becky how he will get up at night and bring her the baby, feed the baby, change her diapers, etc...I guess that means I am off the hook. We have gotten so use to seeing and treating Tess like the baby that I am sure there will be a bit of a transition for her as we adjust to the baby but she's a trooper and will be fine.


I'll let Becky fill in the blanks in my story when she gets the chance- I am sure there are plenty. I just wanted to get the word out.


Check out the size of that binkie!







Grandma Barnhurst and our cute girl!!!


Jake looking through the nursery window!

19 comments:

The Dragonfly said...

A huge congratulations to you all! What an adventure . . . glad you had that NASCAR blood in you! :)

We'd love to know when Susan arrives in hopes that we might get in a quick visit if mother and baby are up to it.

We love you guys! Congrats again.

Summer said...

well i am a fan of your narration, dan - good job! glad to know those southern roots come in handy sometimes ;-) congrats on a happy and healthy baby girl and wife and we wish all the best for your family of FIVE!!!

Lin Ryals said...

what a cutie! COngrats you guys!!! I'm so happy for you! I can't imagine getting an epidural... the thought of something going up my spinal cord... eeek! One slip and paralysis for me. She was very brave to get one. I think all moms who get them are brave. She is a beautiful little girl. You are a nice big family of five now. Go you!!!

Celeste@MomBodFitness said...

Awww...what a cute little girl!! What a story too, glad you made it in time and chose to go the other hospital, whew, a relief for Becky I'm sure. Congrats!!

Unknown said...

Congratulations, guys! I'm so glad you made it!!

Lis said...

Congrats to you guys!!! She is ADORABLE! And thats a GREAT story Dan! I LOVE how you told it! I could envision ALL OF IT! Glad Becky and the BABE are doin' well! XOXOX!

tylerandmommy said...

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY baby pictures! WE want MORE! I'm glad you guys got to the hospital in time for the epidural. Yay to Becky for a QUICK labor. I'm glad she and the baby are doing so well. I can't wait to see her in person!!! Let me know if you guys need anything.

Kim Breinholt said...

YEA!! I'm so glad she's here safely and everyone is doing well. We love you all!

Anie said...

YEAH!! PICTURES!! Oh what a BEAUTY!!!! I can't tell you how EXCITED I was for you guys all day yesterday!! Thanks for sharing the story Dan! That's so awesome that you got to experience going into labor. I really wanted to, but I get too impatient! And I'm SO glad you got your epidural. Can't wait to meet her in person and get all the "Becky details!"

Novak Caboose said...

YAY!!! She looks just like Jake! How cute... congrats!

Unknown said...

Great news! Congratulations to you both. (from SJ, but I'll show V tonight)

Mamafamilias said...

Hey to Abigail from Aunt Goatie!!! I can't wait to get my quota of sugar. She's adorable. Go get Becky a Frosty from Wendy's - she deserves it.

Pretty Boy Jeff better get in the other lane from now on or he's gonna hit the wall.

Ryan and Heather Moss said...

I was wondering about you guys this weekend! Glad she held out to make her grand entrance in the hospital-POST EPIDURAL!!!! Those are the best in the whole, wide world! I got sent home with Emily & vowed THAT would never happen again-Ryan wanted to follow the "labor instruction book" on that rule too.

Tell Becky we love her (we love you too!) & can't wait to meet her!

And who does she look the most like? I see a little Jacob in her but not a ton. Sorry, I don't really remember what Tess looked like in brand-new baby pictures.

Marianne said...

Congrats you guys! I love that cute little baby picture! How fun. Soak it up:)

B said...

Congratulations! Way to go speedster & Becky! She is super cute!

I found one of those binkies when my girls were about 9 months old and couldn't believe how much it had shrunk in those several months:)

We are so happy for you!!

Tiare said...

Congratulations Dan and Becky! What a beautiful little girl! I'm glad you made it to the hospital in time. I can't imagine delivery a baby in the car. Give Becky a big squeeze from me--well done!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Dan and Becky! I'm so very happy for you! What a beautiful little girl! And I loved seeing the picture of your mom, Dan. I miss her so much!! You have a beautiful family. Congrats, again! :)

amydear said...

Congrats, Barnhurst fam! That's a fun post from Dan. The real question, though, is why do you have emergency flashers?? And I don't get NASCAR either.

The Pickled Red Herring said...

I LOVED the story - well told! And sorry I am so late in reading it. I love how Jake and Dan's job as guys is to take care of the girls. How sweet, and Jake is definitely the man for the job!