Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Verdict...

is in, the cast stays on for another two weeks. 
Even though Tess loves having a colorful leg she was hoping 4 weeks in this cast would be long enough. No such luck for my sweet red-head. We have done lots and lots of crafts indoors but with the weather being so nice we've had to improvise with ways to entertain her and enjoy the sun.

We've had picnics on blankets and used up our bucket of side-walk chalk.  



My all time favorite is watching her dig in the dirt and play with her rock collection, she has 34 rocks!

 We tested her rocks with vinegar to find out which ones were limestone. 

When we venture to the park she spends her time doing this...
She is a pro at pumping herself and getting super-duper high! 

Tess's good friend Spencer McKinstry broke his leg a week before she did.  It was fun to watch them the first day they saw each other, both in their wheelchairs, comparing notes. His cast was bright orange and he is now trying to build back the muscle in his leg now that his cast has come off. Jill (his mama) has been so helpful and understanding. My pregnant belly has complicated things and she has come to my rescue many times!


The Orthopedic doctor helped to clarify something for me today. I thought Tess had broken her bone right ON her growth plate but he said that actually-- that would have been better than what really happened. The break is right next to the growth plate, below the knee. He told me we will have to watch her over the next year to see if her leg continues to heal and grow as it should. Apparently 1 in 4 children who have this same break end up needing surgery a year or two after the break to correct the leg from growing the opposite direction from the knee down. Not exactly calming-my-nerves- kind of news but I really do think Tess will be one of those 3 kids who do just fine!!! 

1 comment:

Anie said...

WOW!!!! You guys have been BUSY!!! Just got caught up on your Utah travels. Crazy all that happened while you were there!! I'm exhausted just reading about it! So now I'm dying to hear about where you guys put an offer on a house! There in MD?? I hate feeling so out of the loop on your lives!! Keep me posted!!!! Miss you guys!