Sunday, August 28, 2011

All in one week

Earthquake
Tuesday August 23
Abby had been sleeping for about 40 minutes, Tess was coloring at the kitchen table and Jake and I were on the couch when the earthquake hit. At first I thought the bouncing was because the washing machine was spinning unevenly but then I realized I wasn't doing any laundry! The kids looked at me wide eyed and Tess started to cry when the house started to sway back and forth. Then I heard Abby crying out for me "Mama, SHAKING, Mama, SHAKING!" I ran up to get her and we all headed outside to talk to our neighbors. Everyone was outside asking " Did you feel that!!!" At that point I finally put two and two together, it was an earthquake! I tried to call Dan for about 40 minutes and couldn't get him. Finally he responded to my text that he was fine and on his way home. He was at work, on the 7th floor, when the shaking started. He peaked out his cubicle and then took off for the stairs! His building was evacuated for about 40 minutes and then he was able to get to his car and come home. We went camping that night.

Hurricane Irene
Saturday August 27th-28th
Saturday it rained throughout the afternoon and evening. At about 130a.m. I woke up to some obnoxious teenagers hollering outside. Abby woke up at about 2a.m. because of the wind. And that was about it! Since Dan is pretty much the 1st and 2nd counselor in the bishopric right now we were really hoping church would be cancelled. No such luck! :) Truthfully I am grateful hurricane Irene was uneventful for us.

I do have to include the fun games we played with the kids on Saturday night thanks to Dan:
Games Hurricane Style:
    1. High Jump...over the water (landing on a mattress and pillows)
    2. Long Jump....over the water
    3. Red Cross Toss....toss a pillow to save (hit) the baby doll.
    4. Watch the animals flee...race from the living room to the kitchen as a spider.
    5. Blowing Debree Contest....put a tissue in front of the fan and see how far it goes.
    6. Boats in the Ocean...make paper boats and blow them across the kitchen floor.
The kids LOVED it!

No comments: