Saturday, October 1, 2011

13.1 miles

Dan ran a half-marathon today. He has been training for months and recruited a bunch of friends to do this with.  The race was in Shepherdstown, WV, with part of the course going through Antietam Battle Field.  Lucky for me Dan caught a ride early this morning with some of the other runners so that I could focus on getting the kids and I up there to cheer him through the finish line.  I was very grateful not to have to be out in the nasty weather with the kids for any longer than we were!  It was a rainy, windy, cold, FALL day. Despite the conditions everyone was smiling and happy!
Here are some before pictures:
Dan, Terry Geliske, Dale Franklin

Mike, Dan, Terry, Dale, and John

I ended up getting totally lost and missed Dan at the finish line by just a few minutes! Dan did a great job. His time was 2 hours and 5 minutes.  Up tons of hills, in the rainy, windy, COLD weather (high today was 56 degrees today and he started at 8AM). He rocked it!



We registered Jake, Tess, and Abby in the 1 mile kid fun run.  Jake and Tess were totally pumped to run this all week! The rain and cold didn't stop them today.  Dan ran with them while I kept track of Abby.  Abby completely surprised me, she RAN the entire time!  Everyone loved watching her little legs go and cheered her on as we passed. I so wish I had it on camera! Dan said Jake and Tess did great as well, they  were waiting for us at the finish line.  (I think Abby's personality and spunk really showed today, she loves to be outside despite any weather and is constantly on the run!)
Before 

After



We made it back to the car totally soaked and cold to the bone! Luckily I thought to bring blankets. Right as we were about to leave we saw Mike and Laura again so I had to get one last picture. Mike ran the race with Dan, and I was suppose to run with Laura. These two work with Dan and make life a lot more fun for him at the NRC (so I hear everyday after work).

More races to come, with me running too!

2 comments:

barnhurst said...

I'll be the first to comment. Firstly, my time was 2:05:02. If only I had run a little faster and beat the 2 hr mark....Also- Bec and the kids were great in coming out to support me and the kids run was the best. The kids would have done better but I slowed them down. Thanks Bec for the great post and support!

Anie said...

Impressive Dan!! Seriously! Loved the pics! We miss you guys a ton!! Elle was asking for Abby the other day. We're gonna have to start up some pen pal writing! Can't wait to hear about the wedding weekend in SC. Hope you had some good luck with finding shoes for the girls Bec! And thanks again for stopping by to see us before we left on the 4th. Those treats you left got me through the entire trip!! Loved them all!! You're the best! Thanks for being so thoughtful!