Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A Quick Getaway

Against doctors wishes Dan and I took the kids to Deep Creek this past weekend.  It has been a stressful time and we needed a bit of a breather. Our Bishop has offered to let us stay at his place several times and we finally took him up on it.  We took off early Friday afternoon and drove for 2 hours to western Maryland. After unloading at the Richardson's home we took the kids to Brenda's Pizzeria for dinner. We got some "awesome" BBQ chicken pizza, so yummy, and then let the kids play back at the house. There was a loft area that had a bed for Jake and Tess that they loved hanging out in/sleeping in.
(Picture with my iphone, not the best.)

Abby loved the princess chair in the living room.


Saturday was a packed, fun day. We started off with donuts and juice, a fun vacation tradition, and then headed to the ski resort. Dan took Jake and Tess on a roller coaster ride, one at a time, down the side of the mountain while I stayed and played at a play ground with Abby.
Before
 After, telling me all about it!

Before

Abby playing


We gave Jake and Tess the option of doing the roller coaster one more time or the Chipmunk Challenge ropes course. I was supper excited when they decided to do the ropes course. Tess went first followed by Jake. They both did great. They didn't hesitate or fall once! I was so proud of them.










Tess concentrating, love that tongue!


 DONE!
 Jake wouldn't look at me but he was grinning from ear to ear when he finished, so proud of you Jakers!
(There were two zip lines in the course that we only video'd...the kids said the zip line was their favorite part! Wish I could have done it with them!!!)

Then it was Abby's turn to do something fun just for her, gem mining.




After the ski resort we took the kids to a glass blowing factory, Simon Pearce. I had no idea how incredible and what a beautiful art it is. Dan was sweet and told me to go buy the glass Evergreen Christmas tree I had my eye on in the store. But, once I saw that the 6inch tree was $100 I just couldn't bring myself to do it.
(Picture with iPhone, doesn't do it justice but I had to document it!)

Next we went to Swallow Falls State Park and hiked around 3 different waterfalls. The hike was only 1.25miles but man did it seem a lot longer for me. The kids loved every bit of it, it was me who was slowing us down.


Dan picked up a little frog. The best part was when he put it on his head and the kids and I laughed and laughed at him. Then Abby decided to collect some dirt, or "frogs" as she put it, in an empty soda bottle. She carried her "hopping frog-ies" for most of the hike.






We ended our fun-filled day with some BBQ sandwhiches at Archie's and sparklers.



It was a full, exhausting day for everyone. Sunday morning the kids were so sad to leave!  Before we headed out to the car Jake told Dan he needed to go up and say goodbye to the loft. Unknown to Jake Dan was listening to Jake say, "Well loft, I hope I get to come back soon..." Dan and I laughed at how serious he was about it all.

I have to mention that all weekend long I was praying that this baby girl wouldn't make an early entrance to the world like Jake did. I had contractions all weekend and Dan was vigilant about keeping track. A couple times they were 5 minutes apart (while hiking at Swallow Falls) but then would go to 20 to 40 minutes apart. Thankfully we had a fun weekend without any emergency trips to the hospital!

Thank you Richardson's!!!


2 comments:

Anie said...

What a FUN family getaway! So brave of you, but what great memories to have before #4 arrives! That must have been so crazy stressful when your contractions were so close. I got stressed just reading about it! :) And in the one pic of you- you cant even tell your pregnant. Where's that belly pic! :) LOVED all the pictures! Miss you all!

Chaoyi said...

So glad you went, it sounded so very fun!!
Great pictures of the kids. and I loved Abby's face holding the gem.