Sunday, May 27, 2012

Sooo not food poisoning

Dan came home late Tuesday night bent over complaining of bad stomach pain. I sent him off to bed where he stayed for all of about 30 minutes and spent the rest of the night in the bathroom vomiting. At about 430 in the A.M. he drove himself to the Germantown ER, leaving me a text message on my phone that he had gone.

Abby and I woke up at about 630 and I couldn't find Dan. I soon found my phone and knew where he was. He was given morphine and the doctor wanted to do a CT scan to check his appendix. My budget money conscious husband almost walked out without the test but the doctor convinced him to do it since his white blood cell count was high.  I got Jake and Tess off to school and headed over to Callie Brewer's to do some visiting. Within about 5 minutes Dan called to say the test results were back and he had appendicitis. They would be putting him in an ambulance to take him to Shady Grove Hospital for emergency surgery within the hour.

I quickly left, picked up Tess from preschool and dropped both girls off at Bonnie's. I wanted to be sure to see Dan before they took him in to surgery.  I beat the ambulance to Shady Grove Hospital and actually had to wait awhile for him to arrive.  I was able to see him for a few minutes before the surgery. Dan always manages to be friendly and funny in any social situation...even when he is about to have emergency surgery! The pain medication may have helped out there this time too! He was ham'n it up with the nurses. I stayed for 2 more hours to see him after surgery and then headed home get the kids. We ate dinner, which was brought over from a ward member, and then we headed back to Shady Grove Hospital to check on Dan. The kids and I didn't stay long that night but I was glad I made the trip back. Tess and Jake were pretty worried about him and couldn't stop talking and asking him questions. Abby was pulling chords, eating all his jello, and literally bouncing off the walls.  Dan was exhausted but happy to see the kids.


I have to mention that since he had been given so many IV drips and fluid during the day he had to go to the bathroom 3 times in the thirty minutes we were there... and was pretty annoyed.  Me and my 35 week pregnant bladder weren't very sympathetic. I couldn't help but laugh...and then I helped him in and out of bed!

Tess and I picked Dan up from the hospital the next day around 2pm while Jill McKinstry took care of Abby and picked up Jake from school for me. The doctor told Dan to take it easy, no high energy activities for awhile. His diet was restricted to liquids and then easy to digest/small portioned food. He has been hungry for days now!

I am so grateful for all the help from family and friends! I received lots of phone calls from ward members ready and willing to help out. Word spread quickly since I was visiting with a member of the Relief Society presidency's when  his test results came back! I really appreciated all the support.

Dan and I realized just how lucky we were to not be moving right now. Can you imagine if we had gotten the home we put an offer on or found a home with a back yard to rent...we would be very excited to be moving but we would be moving right now. Dan can't lift more than 15lbs for another 2 weeks and I'm well, 35 weeks pregnant. The Lord definitely knows what's best.  Now hopefully this baby won't arrive until Dan has all his energy back and all the heavy lifting and organizing that I had on our schedule for this weekend gets done!!

1 comment:

Anie said...

Wow!!! This was quite the ordeal. I had to laugh that Dan drove himself to the ER in the middle of the night!! What a sweet husband- in so much pain, but not wanting to wake his pregnant wife! Glad everything's ok now. I loved this post for some many reasons- mostly cause I've been wanting an update on the Barnhurst family. But through this post I learned that 1) you're now 35 weeks prego (36 now)- I'd been wondering how much time you had left. 2) That Callie is in the RS presidency. and 3) a moving update. So are you guys in Clarksburg for another year?? It's amazing how everything works out how it's supposed to. We sure miss you guys! I think about you tons! Hope Dan has recovered nicely and you had a good productive weekend!! :)