Thursday, August 30, 2012

Clara's 2 Months

This past month (4-9 weeks) has been a long one with Clara. 
She is still vomiting a lot. I am afraid to have her sleep on her back at all because of how much she spits up or vomits. She still has the nursing blisters, it was more of a constant thing at the beginning but is now tapering off. Clara got some baby acne but it wasn't that bad, lasted about 2 weeks. She has yet to get any cradle cap! She requires a lot of bouncing and shushhhing.  She doesn't find much comfort in rocking and knows the second Dan or I sit that it's her cue to wake up and cry. Her fussiness parallels my memory of Jake a lot.

Her vomiting problem has brought me to tears and complete exhaustion. I have tried everything I can think of to help her stomach. The pediatrician wasn't much help at her one month appointment. However, I received some good info/advice from my sis-in-law, Hollie,  and decided to contact the La Leche League. I had an abundance of milk. The guess was that Clara wasn't getting both the fore-milk and hind-milk as I nursed her both sides each feeding. I could pump 4-5oz out of one side and knew she was getting too much. The LLL consultant was very kind and sympathetic to my frustrations. She suggested I block feed to reduce my milk supply, nurse reclined if possible to help ease my powerful let-down, and cut out gassy foods. So I went off of all dairy, nuts, and chocolate. After doing the block feeding for 5 days I went to feeding one side each feeding (my body adjusted to this faster than I thought). It seems to have helped a bit. Her spitting up and vomiting problem hasn't disappeared but has decreased a bit. I think it is time for some acid-reflux medication to hopefully help her feel better as she spits up. As far as her gassiness goes... WHO KNOWS? I haven't noticed much difference with what I've stopped eating. I think her little tummy just needs time to develop and adjust.

Dan went to Washington on business the week before school started. It was a very long week. However, Dan gave all the kids a fathers blessing before he left. Clara slept the best ever! At night she went 7 hours between feeding! Sadly the day Dan returned she is back to waking up 2-3 times a night.

Dan has super-powers when it comes to getting her to sleep!
 She loves to sleep with her face in Dan's arm, or in a blanket. 
 Peek-a-boo!

(Funny sleeping picture)

She likes the swing for a short amount of time but is content the longest under her play-matt. 

 I came home from church and quickly went to feeding the kids a light lunch, preparing dinner since we were having the missionaries soon, all the while taking care of feeding and comforting Clara. Jake likes to use my phone, I found the following pics later.
 Cooking and bouncing her seat...now that's some serious multi-tasking!

My sweet little red-heads!!

She has started to smile and coo when she is happy. We love it!



She has found her thumb a couple of times. 
Within the last 2 weeks she has taken to a pacifier, either one sure helps!



At her 2 month check up she was 12lbs 12oz! 

2 comments:

Chaoyi said...

Clara is SOOO beautiful, she looks like the rest of your kids,especially Abby! I am so glad to meet her.

Anie said...

What a doll! I'm sure by now she's already getting better. It was rough with Cal until 10 weeks. Now he's such a chill little guy. Not completely sleeping through the night though- gotta work on that! :) And amazing story about when Dan went away on business.