Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Our First Month with Clara

Pictures to come later, our iphoto needs to be fixed before I can upload pictures.


Week 1
For me the first week home was the hardest, physically. Labor/delivery went really well so I didn't have a hard recovery in that sense. However, I ended up getting infections. One of which was the dreaded mastitis. Another weird part of recovery this time around was that my feet, ankles, and hands became ginormous and tingly! I ended up going into my OB to get my blood pressure checked since the swelling continued to get worse rather than better. Turns out the heat and my infections made the swelling worse and I just needed to hydrate and elevate more. Having flu-like symptoms, from the mastitis, on top of everything else was a bit more than I wanted to handle. But once I was on medication for awhile I managed it all a lot better.

Clara behaved like a normal new born. She slept and ate. She was a champ working with me through mastitis. She was a patient eater from day one but has a really hard suck!  She is the first Barnhurst baby to not want a pacifier, she gags on it.  Another first, Clara spits up a ton, the disturbing part is it shoots out of her nose! At this point I got more upset about it than she did.


Jacob, Tess, and Abby couldn't get enough of Clara! They were so good about keeping their hands clean and being gentle. Abby tells everyone her baby sister is "so cute".  Aibigal has been great with Clara, however she is acting out a lot more. She went from being my very independent child to a very dependent child. Dan has been great about giving her more attention and being patient with her tantrums.

Since Grandma and Grandpa Larry left the day I came home, it was just Dan and I with FOUR kids. Dan focused on the older three. He took them to do something fun every day he was home (swimming, Dullus Air and Space Museum, and lots and lots of ice cream). Early in the week Dan went to SAMS Club with the older kids and stocked up on quick, not so healthy, dinners for us to make it through until my Mom came.

Week 2
Our A/C went out during record breaking heat. We noticed on Friday afternoon that the house was heating up and the fan wasn't blowing cool air. Luckily our rental management company was quick to respond and I had a number for the heating and air guy very quickly. The A/C was fixed within 24 hours.

My Mom came to the rescue this week, and just in time for Tess's 6 birthday! Clara was eating every 2 hours and starting to get fussy. I was able to take a nap during the day and then my Mom slept with Clara in her room. Mom would pacifier her/hold her to get her to go at least one 3 hour stretch at night, it was great! I was able to catch up on some much needed sleep and had help entertaining the kids, cooking and cleaning. This week went by way to fast.

Week 3
Mom left and survival mode kicked in as Clara became more and more fussy and gassy. She ate every hour and a half to two hours. As I slept in the same room with her I realized how incredible noisy she is at night. She grunts and groans a lot in her sleep, unless she is being held! I think it has a lot to do with her sensitive stomach and gas. This week I started to notice something I later learned was a sucking blister on Clara's mouth. Between that and her spewing milk out her nose and mouth a lot I was eager for her one month check-up.

By the end of this week the kids were going stir-crazy indoors. I tried to let them play each day out back but that got old fast. So, I set up play-dates and planned some fun things for the next week. It was time to get back to "normal".

Week 4
This week was better for the older three, but wore me out!!  Jake and Tess both had a play-date here.  I asked Sue Matthew's to come and babysit Clara while I took the kids to the Splash Park one day. Luckily Clara takes a bottle really well and Sue is always happy to help. The kids and I had a great time for 3 hours out of the house!

Clara still spits up a ton and tenses up when she cries with gas pain.  If she is awake she is crying. I am praying that this is just the normal fussiness that will peak at 6 weeks and then go away. I really don't want to have a colicky baby through 3 months, like Abby, or 8 months, like Jake. We are at a very tiring stage but it is helpful knowing it is just a stage and it will pass.

Things I love about this stage: I love cuddling her all balled up like only newborns do. I love kissing her soft, sweet smelling skin! I love watching Jacob and Tess interact with her and hearing Abby call her "baby sister".

So far Clara has two nicknames: "Hiccup" for obvious reasons and "Little C".  At her one month appointment this week she was 10lbs. 2oz and 21in long.

"Life with 4 is 25% better than having three!" so says Dan

No comments: